Tag Archives: hardware jewelry tutorial
DIY hardware jewelry is so unique and pretty fun and easy to make. In this tutorial I will tell you the basics to make a hardware necklace.
There are a variety of different ropes, hemp, jute, hex nuts, and washers you can use to customize your piece. For this necklace I used hemp that I dyed and silver hex nuts. I have made a few bracelets with gold hex nuts and white rope and a few necklaces with dyed rope too. The possibilities are endless.
- Hex nuts – I picked up small, medium, large hex nuts
- Rope, Twine, Jute, or Hemp in your favorite color. I bought hemp and teal clothing dye to make the hemp blue.
- Jewelry Jump Rings – You will need the large ones.
- Jewelry Clasp
- For a 30 inch necklace I measured out 3 strands of hemp that were roughly 48 inches long.
- Dye hemp with clothing dye and let dry.
- Take your 3 pieces of hemp and tie around a large jump ring with a basic knot.
- Secure this end to a stable structure so you can easily keep tension on the necklace while braiding. I used an extra piece of string and tied the jump ring end to the chair leg.
- Begin to braid the 3 pieces of hemp together.
- After about 6-7 inches of braiding start to slip a hex nut on each strand before using it in the braid. I started with the smallest hex nuts, then medium, then large for a small-to-large effect.
- Continue stringing hex nuts and braiding until you are satisfied. For this piece, I only had hex nuts in the middle, then continued with a braid (sans hex nuts) to finish the piece.
- Add the clasp to the other jump ring and secure on to the end of your necklace.
- Ta da!